APR 6 2020
The Great Allegheny Passage remains open for conscientious hiking, biking, and outdoor exploration. In concert with the National Recreation and Park Association, we encourage all users to follow these recommendations, in addition to adhering to state and local directives:
- Refrain from using parks or trails if you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
- Follow the Center for Disease Control's guidance on personal hygiene prior to and during use of parks or trails.
- Prepare for limited access to public restrooms or water fountains.
- While on trails, warn other users of your presence as you pass, and move aside to let others pass.
- Follow the Center for Disease Control's guidance on the recommended size of social gatherings including outdoor picnicking, pick-up sports and other group hangouts, and maintain proper physical distance at all times.
- Observe the Center for Disease Control's minimum recommended physical distancing of six(6) feet from other individuals at all times. If this is not possible, you should find an alternate location or depart that space.
- Consult local and state ordinances and guidelines for the most up to date recommendations on park and trail use.
Please note that most bathroom facilities and water sources are closed. Bring your own water from home if you choose to be on the GAP. Ohiopyle State Park has closed its public facilities, although the GAP and hiking trails remain open at this time. The West Newton Visitor Center is closed. The Dravo, Roundbottom, and Connellsville hiker-biker campgrounds are open, but water and bathrooms are unavailable and we are not encouraging overnight camping at this time.
The hundreds of small, family-owned businesses that support GAP hikers, runners, and cyclists are facing a difficult season. Some remain open, but others are closed to comply with orders from Governors Wolf and Hogan. Please contact your favorite restaurant, B&B, or bike shop to ask how you can support them at this time. A carryout order, a future reservation, an online gear purchase, or a gift card for future use would be very welcome.