The 1,570-foot Riverton Bridge sits nearly 50 feet over the Monongahela River and connects McKeesport with Duquesne. Once a railroad bridge used for carrying commodities and equipment for the Union Railroad and its predecessors, it was retrofitted to carry the Great Allegheny Passage in 2008. Modern ramps on either end allow for smooth access for bicyclists and hikers. Nearby and visible from the GAP is an intact roundhouse once used by the railroad to store and service its locomotives.
Built in 1890 as the McKeesport Connecting Railroad Bridge, this structure allowed materials to freely flow between U.S. Steel’s Duquesne Works and McKeesport’s National Tube Company for nearly a hundred years. Its two large spans are excellent examples of late nineteenth century pin-connected railroad trusses.
Open daily, dawn to dusk. The nearest parking lots are at the GAP trailheads in Duquesne and McKeesport.