Located at the confluence of the Youghiogheny and Monongahela Rivers, McKeesport was, for over a hundred years, the headquarters for National Tube Works, the country’s preeminent manufacturer of steel tubes, pipes, poles, and scores of similar items that undergirded the American industrial revolution. During World War II, the city’s factories employed more than 10,000 people making war materiel and vital defense supplies. Today, National Tube Works is closed, but you can still see modern pipe and tube manufacturers using its renovated facilities.
Next to the GAP, the McKeesport Marina accommodates more than 200 watercraft, and sports a picnic pavilion, fishing pier, three-bed hostel, and trailside café.
Worth a visit is the McKeesport Regional History and Heritage Center, featuring exhibits preserving the stories, photos, and artifacts critical to the Mon Valley’s industrial heritage. The museum proudly houses the very first schoolhouse to be erected in McKeesport in 1832.
The Carnegie Library of McKeesport, designed by noted Pittsburgh architect William J. East and opened in 1902, is a local treasure.
The city’s Renziehausen Park features a 400-square-foot perennial garden, beds that contain over 1,800 roses, a pond, and a butterfly garden.
From near the fire station, travelers can follow the “Clairton Connector,” a five-mile on-road route that meets the popular Montour Trail.
Local Events and Activities
The International Village, McKeesport’s annual heritage festival which celebrates nationalities around the world, especially those with deep roots in the immigrant-rich Mon Valley.
Parking and Trail Access
Parking and trail access are available at the paved municipal parking lot along Water Street.